About Us: Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
With the insurgency spilling over from the Northeast of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. With funding from institutional donors, foundations and private corporations, Mercy Corps continues to provide assistance to meet the basic needs of vulnerable populations in the areas of food security, shelter, water and sanitation, protection, and livelihoods.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Finance Manager
Location: Abuja, Nigeria – with 25-30% travel to the field locations
Position Status: Full-time; Regular
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the country team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance Director, the Deputy Finance Manager will work with the team to ensure compliance, accuracy and completeness of finance reviews, budget development and modifications
- S/he will have primary responsibility for supporting the Finance Director in the management of the monthly financial and budget compliance processes routine finance tasks
- S/he works under the direction of the Finance Director and is responsible for financial functions that will include voucher and contract reviews, banking, budgeting, financial reporting, grant financial management and compliance
- The Deputy Finance Manager will assist in review and analysis of records, reports, financial statements and management practices to ensure adequate internal controls are in place to mitigate risks in compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- The Deputy Finance Manager is expected to work collaboratively with program and operations departments, provide support to the field when necessary and ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Ensure compliance standards of finance department by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
Influence & Representation:
- Establish high level of credibility and ensures strong working relationship with external stakeholders.
- Provide professional support during internal and external audit. Ensure external or internal auditors are provided access to financial information/documentation and understanding of Mercy Corps financial policies and procedures.
- Work with Finance Director to plan and implement systems for financial operations in accordance with the Mercy Corps Field Finance Manual and donor regulations. This includes systems for Cash Flow management, consolidation of accounting information, internal controls, financial reporting, financial record keeping, grant management and compliance.
- Perform financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders, and payment requests to ensure compliance with MC policies and procedures and donors grants and contracts requirements. Ensure posted accurately to the general ledger
- Provide guidance, training, and consultation on compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures as well as donor compliance requirements to all staff.
- Support the Finance Director to improve and enhance the efficiency of existing control systems and develop Standard Operating Procedures for accounting.
- Prepare month end balance sheet account reconciliations and support reconciliation in field offices.
- Coordinate the receipt of field submissions of the monthly/quarterly/year-end reporting packages from field sites and ensure the accuracy and completeness of the ledgers.
- Assist in the training and support of the finance team in Abuja and in field offices, including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
- Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from sub-offices; prepare consolidated country cash flow requests to HQ.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help Finance team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Assist in developing and maintaining compliance checklist for all grants and ensuring the grants are closed smoothly and all donor’s requirement are met.
- Ensure effective, transparent use of financial resources in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
- Maintain banking relations and plan and monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of Mercy Corps programs.
- Ensure monthly standard accounting submissions to Mercy Corps Headquarters, including general ledger files, account reconciliations, expenditures by award/project, required sub grantee reporting, as well as other financial information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ensure permanent and appropriate archiving (hard and soft copies) of all financial documentation
- Promotes culture of ZERO tolerance to corruption, ensuring that all staff know the details of our corruption policy and know how to report.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Support an environment of cooperation and collaboration that instills a high level of Team Spirit.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular feedback.
- Drive communication at all levels.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, work plan, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options, take ownership and be accountable.
- Ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Assist in the development of SoPs as appropriate.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Supervisory Responsibility
- Directly: Senior Finance Officers, Finance Officers, and Finance Assistants
- Reports Directly To: Finance Director
- Works Directly With: Finance Team, Operations Team, and Program Teams
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 4 years of progressive financial management experience is required.
- BA/S or equivalent in Accounting or Finance is required. An Advanced Degree is preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in grants management as well as an understanding of donor regulations is required (particularly USAID, DFID and EC).
- At least 3 years of experience with international NGO or business is required
- Demonstrated experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, delegate, make difficult decisions, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary
- A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. Training and the ability to build a strong cohesive team will be a key output/success factors of this role
- The Deputy Finance Manager must be willing to travel to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
Mode of Application
All interested and qualified applicants should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Closing Date: 14th December, 2018.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.